Winnebago County Pheasants Forever - About Us Page
A Local Illinois Chapter
Welcome. We are the Winnebago County of Pheasants Forever (PF), a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of pheasants and other upland bird populations in North America.
Pheasants Forever is the only national organization with a model of chapters keeping 100% of the funds they raise. While belonging to a larger national organization that has a voice on federal and state conservation policies, chapters are tasked with finding projects for their funds. The Winnebago County Chapter takes full advantage of this model using funds raised for projects locally as well as other areas in the state of Illinois.
Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.
Our Chapter Mission
Protect, restore, and enhance wildlife habitat by establishing and maintaining local projects.
- Create, improve, and preserve upland bird habitat
- Foster youth hunting and outdoor activities.
- Develop, distribute and foster conservation education.
- Introduce and advance prudent management of conservation policies.
Pheasants Forever is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and enhancement of pheasant and other wildlife populations in North America through habitat improvement, land management, public awareness, and education.
Winnebago County Pheasants Forever Chapter #0404
PO BOX 322
Winnebago, IL. 61088
Winnebago County Chapter
WINNEBAGO COUNTY PHEASANTS FOREVER
This is the 30th Anniversary of the Winnebago County Chapter of Pheasants Forever. It has been another great year for Winnebago County Pheasants Forever. We maintain our main purpose to protect and enhance pheasants and other wildlife populations in Winnebago County through public awareness and education, habitat restoration, development and maintenance, and improvements in land water, management policies.
In 2021, Winnebago County Pheasants Forever did the following:
- Winnebago County Chapter is the largest Chapter in the State !!
- Planted 220 acres of nesting cover for Pheasants, other game birds, and native wildlife species.
- Provided seed at a greatly reduced cost to plant 845 acres of food plots for Pheasants, other game birds, and other game species.
- Conducted 190 acres of prescribed burns to help manage existing habitat.
- Partnered with Severson Dells Nature Center to provide outdoor
- Education to more than 800 school children throughout the year.
- Lobbied at the state level for hunter’s rights and appropriation of accessible hunting land.
- Hosted two youth shoots at Plug and Pellet Sportsmen’s Club to encourage youth to learn about safe shooting and hunting practices.
- Hosted several youth hunts at local farmlands to foster the next generation of hunters and conservationists
- Sponsored the Adventure Quest outdoor camp in conjunction with the Severson Dells Nature Center.
If you are interested in supporting Pheasants Forever and take a more active role in habitat in your own community please contact us at 815-289-3219
We thank you for your support.
Winnebago County Pheasants Forever
About Pheasants Forever
Our local chapter in Illinois was founded amongst those upland hunters and sportsmen and women in your community. Our goal is to provide those avid outdoorsmen and women an opportunity to assist in the protection and enhancement of pheasants and other upland bird populations around the local area.
Pheasants Forever was co-founded in 1982 by co-workers at the St. Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch, outdoor editor Dennis Anderson and national advertising director Jeff Finden. Both recognized a need for habitat restoration and preservation to ensure the future of pheasants and other wildlife.
PF's first publication entitled "Rooster Tales," published in February 1983. This became the forerunner of today's Pheasants Forever Journal of Upland Conservation. The fledgling PF held its first banquet on April 15, 1983, drawing 800 people at the inaugural banquet. In January 2007, PF's third-ever National Pheasant Fest in Des Moines, Iowa, became the largest event in PF history, drawing over 24,500 attendees over a three-day span.
Twenty-five years after its inception, Pheasants Forever has become a grassroots, nationwide upland conservation movement - a national conservation powerhouse. The organization has grown to 110,000 members with over 600 chapters across the U.S. and Canada. Nationwide, Pheasants Forever has spent $260 million on program expenditures, which have helped fund 347,000 habitat projects affecting 4.4 million acres across North America. Along the way, PF has continued to employ the same unique organizational model of empowering local chapters to determine how 100 percent of their locally-raised conservation funds are spent. This local control allows chapters to see the fruits of their chapter efforts in their own communities.
Our Local Habitat Projects
We actively partner with other chapters and Illinois organization of natural resources on many habitat projects.
- Habitat field days are conducted when opportunities arise.
- We involve young people through activities such as youth hunts and habitat projects.
- Habitat projects and efforts to restore and preserve public lands.
- Contribute to funding purchasing and restoration of local land throughout our community.
- Our annual fundraising banquet, which is attended by more than 500 people, generates thousands of dollars. The banquet is held in early February each year.
Who Is Pheasants Forever?
A national organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of habitat for upland game and wildlife throughout the nation.
- Over 145,000 grassroots members and volunteers who have developed more than 10 million acres of pheasant and other wildlife habitat since inception.
- 600 chapters completing over 35,000 projects annually.
What Can You Do To Help?
Please explore our website and discover more about the Winnebago County Chapter. You'll find detailed information on all our activities and upcoming events. Let us know what you think; we appreciate your feedback. If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact us. We welcome people interested in the Pheasants Forever mission to attend our monthly meetings, listed on our events page.
- Become a Pheasants Forever member or sponsor
- Volunteer your time or resources to our chapter